German - sufficiently fluent in order to handle proceedings and render an award
Kulkov Kolotilov & Partners
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Senior Associate in Dispute Resolution practice
Experience as counsel
Acted as counsel more than 15 years in domestic and international arbitrations
Examples of cases
Representing an international oilfield services company at the ICAC at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation in a lawsuit against another international oilfield services company in connection with the reimbursement of the client's expenses of more than 300m roubles on remedying an accident and restoring the hermetic seal of an oil well.
Defending a general contractor in the ICAC at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation against a claim by a customer worth approximately 4bn roubles in connection with complaints about the quality of work on the construction of a shopping centre, as well as submitting a counterclaim on behalf of the general contractor for the return of equipment left at the site.
Representing a leader in alternative investing in an LCIA dispute on a claim against a major diversified construction holding. The dispute arose in connection with an English law agreement for the purchase of shares by one of the largest regional oil and gas producers, and concerned the recovery of an advance payment under a failed transaction which was entered into under English law.
Advising and representing the world-famous architect on a dispute out of several agreements for project design, supervision and construction management in relation to various assets, such as a cottage village, apartments and premises in Europe’s one of the tallest buildings.
Protection of the interests of Ultra High Grade anthracite production and export leader to ICAC under the CCI of the Russian Federation in connection with the claim of a Dutch contractor, a service provider to mining companies, on collection of debt under the service provision agreement and counter-claim of the client for improper provision of services.
Representing a client in the SCC in a dispute arising out of the termination of a premium hotel management contract. The firm recovered lost profits for the next 40 years of the contract.
quantum (damages) experts
Foreign law experts; technical, automobile, chemical, hydrological, soil research experts.
General arbitration experience
Education, qualifications, awards
Moscow State University, Specialist, Honors: Magna cum laude, 2006
• Rated by The Legal 500 EMEA (Disputes in State Courts, Arbitration and Mediation)
• Chambers Europe
• "Pravo.ru-300" - "High market arbitration"-Group I, "International litigation" - Group I, "International arbitration" - Group I
• Best Lawyers (Litigation, International Arbitration, Arbitration and Mediation).
• Included in the top ten lawyers of the bankruptcy litigation category (Chambers Europe 2019, Restructuring/Insolvency: Litigation - Russia).
Lecturer in Civil Law, Lomonosov Moscow State University (2007-2009)
Preferences as an arbitrator
The arbitrator will run conflict check against current or former clients of the firm where he is employed. The following resources are used to run conflicts check:
• internal database with information on the contracts with the clients concluded by the firm,
• correspondence of the firm’s employees with the firm’s clients;
• internet sites nalog.ru (Unified State Register of Legal Entities containing some information on shareholders), e-disclosure.ru, information bases such as "SPARK," "Contour," Seldon.Basis, casebook.ru, Factiva and similar;
• internet sites of the parties to the dispute and their affiliates;
• information on the parties to the dispute and their affiliates available in Internet.
printed submission and electronic exhibits
it is up to parties to decide
Maximum deference to the right to present the party’s case
Rigorous control of the process by the tribunal
If it is a legal issue or an important factual issue
It is only for parties to decide and arbitrators should focus on resolution of the dispute