Experience as the tribunal’s secretary / assistant to the president of the tribunal
Assistance in preparation of arbitral awards under the SCC Rules, drafting of procedural orders.
Experience as counsel
Acted as counsel for 5-10 years in domestic and international arbitrations
Examples of cases
- Representing a client (hotel management company) in the SCC arbitration arising out of the termination of a premium hotel management contract. The firm recovered lost profits for the next 40 years of the contract;
- Representing an international oilfield services company at the ICAC at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation in a lawsuit against another international oilfield services company in connection with the reimbursement of the client's expenses of more than 300m roubles on remedying an accident and restoring the hermetic seal of an oil well.
- Representing the European advertisement company in ICAC arbitration regarding the termination of the lease agreement, concluded with state department.
- Representing the client (shareholder) in the complex corporate proceedings arising out of the shareholder agreement (SHA) concluded regarding the management of a Cypriot company which owned shopping malls located in Moscow and Moscow Region. Preparation of an application to obtain interim measures in support of LCIA arbitration, providing English team with legal advice regarding Russian law issues arising within the scope of the LCIA arbitration;
- Assisting in preparation of legal opinions of Russian civil law matters for various arbitration and foreign litigation proceedings.
University of Manchester, LL.M., commercial law, Master's Program validated in Moscow, with merits, 2014;
Summer course on Private international law, the Hague Academy of International Law, 2011;
Course on international arbitration, Cologne Arbitration Academy, 2012
Education, qualifications, awards
National research university Higher School of Economics, Specialist, 2014
- Best Lawyers (international arbitration, litigation).
- Pravo.300 (international arbitration, commercial litigation (high market).
RAA Amicus Curiae working group
Preferences as an arbitrator
In accordance with IBA Guidelines on Conflicts of Interest
In accordance with applicable rules
no general preference
Bockstiegel method (allocating an equal amount of time to each party with their freedom to use it as they wish between opening, examinations and closing)
Maximum deference to the right to present the party’s case
Rigorous control of the process by the tribunal
Only if it is a legal issue the arbitrators may wish to have submissions on
In the middle: there might be a proposal from the tribunal, however it is still the parties to decide whether to settle or not.
S. Dovlatov. Suitcase
Judgment at Nuremberg
Music (bass guitar, vocal)
A member of the Moscow Bar, Sergey represents Russian and foreign clients in arbitration proceedings, commercial litigation and insolvency disputes.
Author of various articles and commentaries on International arbitration, dispute resolution and bankruptcy (publications are listed in the CV).